Thursday, August 5, 2010

OMG!

I went to Stonewall Kitchen's flagship store in York, Maine this past weekend, and stopped by a nearby farmers' market afterward. This market had the usual assortments of fresh veggies and baked goods, but one baked-good display caught my eye. Kate's Designer Delights was advertising a treat called the OMG. Having used that phrase to a fault, I had to investigate its dessert incarnation. OMGs are essentially 5"-diameter tarts, with a shortbread crust and the filling/drizzle of your choice - either homemade caramel with milk chocolate, or raspberry jam and white chocolate. I chose the caramel-filled OMG since Stonewall Kitchen had satisfied my jam needs just minutes before.

The dessert's name couldn't be more appropriate! The shortbread base was deliciously buttery and soft, yet still crumbly, and much thicker than the usual tart crust. A shortbread lover like myself would be overjoyed. The caramel, in a layer approximately 1/8" thick, was thick and sweet. The minimal chocolate drizzle was smooth, milky, and flavorful, so I wish there had been more chocolate. Each bite melted in my mouth, and the sweet butteriness of it all was oh so pleasing. I wish I had thought ahead to purchase another, as the caramel-shortbread combination is too delicious and too rare.

OMG, indeed!

No comments: