Monday, March 23, 2009

Valentine's Day with Dancing Deer


Valentine's Day is personally synonymous with good chocolate, for two reasons - (1) tradition demands it, and (2) with the holiday being a celebration of love, I must pay tribute to, yes, my ardent love and appreciation of all things dessert. In addition to the standard chocolate hearts (milk, white, and dark chocolates this year), I more-than-dipped in to a Dancing Deer Baking Company Chocolate Lover's Medley. This desssert quartet was much more satisfying than the bakery's Christmas offerings, though as with most commercial bakeries I can think of several areas of improvement:

  • Chocolate Espresso Cake - this is a moist, dense dark chocolate cake, with coarse ground espresso bean mixed throughout. The rough texture and bright taste of the beans are a pleasant surprise, though the coffe flavor in the batter is a bit sharp. The cake is drizzled in a rich white chocolate glaze. It comes in standard Bundt sizes - so, perfect for slicing and enjoying with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and a mocha. Wait, did I say that...?
  • Chocolate Chunk Brownies - these brownies' claim to fame is their wonderfully high chocolate-chunk-to-batter ratio! Large pieces of semi-sweet chocolate are found throughout these fudgy brownies. Quality of chunks aside, the brownies themselves are average. I am sure that these are delicious right out of the oven; however, you can't expect that fresh taste to last in the weeks post-baking, and it doesn't. After being raised on from-scratch brownies, and perpetuating the same in my own kitchen, it is difficult for me to advocate for the processed variety.
  • Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies - these cookies, conceptually, are the Best. Cookies. Ever. The rich chocolate batter has dark, milk, and white chocolate chips contained within. However, the cookies are rather dry, and the chocolate chips are small. How would I do this cookie differently? Use a heartier base (I'm guessing this one was on the runny side, as the cookies were rather large, flat, and thin), and larger chips or chunks. My goal would be a dense, chewy batter, with melt-in-your-mouth chips of every flavor. I look forward to trying my own variation sometime, and appreciate the inspiration!
  • Triple Chocolate Heart Cookies - these cookies are the cutest, and most Valentine's-y, of the set. Small, thick heart-shaped chocolate cookies are drizzled in pink frosting and lightly dusted with pink crystallized sugar. That sweet frosting complements the slightly bitter cookies well; chunks of semi-sweet and dark chocolate, plus a dark chocolate base, constitute the cookie proper. I would like to see a softer, moister version of these cookies, but I understand that baked-good age and general need for preservation make those states difficult to achieve.

So, I felt the dessert love this Valentine's Day, yet I have several ideas of what Chocolate and I can work on to improve our relationship. I wonder where we'll be a year from now...

No comments: