Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Welcome!


Nearly a year after the idea was born, I have *finally* posted the first entry in my long-awaited dessert blog! It's amazing what an unasked-for dose of sarcasm re the blog will do to one's motivation to post.


So, what is this "Diary of Decadent Desserts" about (in case the descriptive title is not clear)?


If you eat out with me, you'll know that it's hard for me to refuse a dessert at the end of the meal, no matter how full I may be. If you live with me, you are used to the weekend-morning muffin-baking, occasional appearance of brownies from scratch, and spontaneous trips to Christina's. If you work with me, you've seen my page-a-day calendar featuring 365 facts about chocolate. If you've gone to New Hampshire with me, you know that it's impossible to enter that state with a member of my family and NOT have "lunch" or "dinner" at Mulligan's. Yes, I love desserts...so much...and it is time to share that love with you!


In this space, I hope to tell you about exceptional desserts I have had, desserteries that are worth a second visit, and recipes that are worth a second baking. If we're lucky, you'll see pictures as well. Yes, drool over your keyboard now! I'm an equal-opportunity dessert fan, so you will see the "fine desserts" of quality restaurants reviewed alongside sloppily-scooped ice cream and chocolate bars. I hope you enjoy, and that you're not laughing too much at how ridiculous this concept may seem...


Before signing off and leaving you craving some dessert, I will leave you with two comments.


1) If you have experienced an exceptional dessert in the Boston area and think I would like it, feel free to post a comment and I'll see about giving it a review.


2) Below are two pictures of pretty much the best dessert ever, the Mud Pie at the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse in Brookline, MA. This is the ultimate in decadence and deliciousness, the Dessert of Desserts. It consists of a thick Oreo crust (hence the steak knife to cut through it), two layers of ice cream separated by Oreo crumbs (my favorite combination is a layer each of mint and vanilla), and a half-inch-thick topping of fudge. The large slice is then drizzled with more fudge and covered in whipped cream. I might love everything I post about in these pages, but I can't imagine any dessert - past, present, or future - surpassing the Mud Pie in awesomeness.





Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yea dessert blog! I will look forward to reading about more desserts here!

Unknown said...

I never thought I would see the day that the dessert blog would become a reality. It was well worth the 2 year wait.